As for me, I’m like most females! I have dreamed of the perfect fairy tale for my life! I just knew that by age 25 I would have been graduated from college, working my dream job, married to the MOST AMAZING man this side of Heaven has to offer, and running around after a chocolate-drop (kid) or two. I had so many plans for my life; however, I am quickly realizing that my wants are not God’s will! So I have just begun to pray! Not only am I praying for myself, but I am praying for my future husband!
Now when my women’s group said that they prayed for “Mr. Future”, I thought they were CRAZY!!! I just knew that these ladies were a little special, but then I began to pray. I prayed for my future, my son’s future, and my prayer journeyed to Mr. Future. I felt pretty liberated to pray for a man that wasn’t in my life yet. I prayed for his health, his wellness, his future, his mindset, his career, his parenting, his relationship with Christ, his family, just so many things! I just began to cover him in prayer!!! Weird, I know!!! But hey, why not??
Praying for my future husband has really opened my mindset about prayer. Phillipians 4:6 says “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God”. As much as I want to be married, I had to really rely on this scripture! And the more I prayed, I began to feel satisfaction in just lifting him up in prayer.
Job 42:10 says: “And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.” So, let us break this down, The Lord restored the fortunes of _____________ (ß your name here), when you pray for your friends (your future spouse should be your BEST FRIEND, your ride or die, your prayer partner, your ACE). And the Lord gave _____________ (ß your name here) twice as much as he had before (your spouse, your babies, the love you pray for). Below you will find several prayers to constantly pray for your future spouse, I am stealing these from another blog, but they covered my list and more!!
- Pray for his/her walk with God, that he/she continues to grow spiritually and is prepped to be the spiritual partner, and that he/she makes God the top priority in his/her life.
- Pray for his/her ability to hear God’s voice, for his/her ear to be in tune to hear all of God’s instructions.
- Pray for his/her will to be bendable toward whatever God wants for his/her life.
- Pray for his/her emotional health—that any past wounds be dealt with and healed. Pray for restoration in all areas.
- Pray for his/her physical health.
- Pray that he/she break free of any unhealthy addictions, if needed.
- Pray for his/her career, his/her life’s work, that he/she be established in the field where God wants to use him/her and that he/she be wise with his resources.
- Pray for his/her ministry—that he/she be sensitive to God’s call on his/her life when it comes to ministering to and serving others. Also, pray for God to prepare both of you for the ways you will minister together.
- Pray for his/her preparation—that he/she yields to all that God’s potter’s hands would like to accomplish in him/her.
- Pray for God to send any trials necessary into his/her life that will allow the preparation process to be complete.
- Pray for God to prepare him/her to be a father/mother, if the two of you will ultimately raise a family together.
- Pray for God to help him/her be responsible with his/her finances and prepare him/her to be a significant contributor and provider to the household.
- Pray for him/her to not be distracted by any counterfeits—especially other women/men that God doesn’t intend to use for his/her growth.
- Pray for God to allow this man/woman to see you the way God wants you to be seen, with God’s heart toward you.
- Pray for God to show you how to pray for your husband/wife. Be open to whatever His Spirit may whisper to you, to cover your husband’s/wife’s needs. If you feel God gives you something specific, write it down and date it. Save it for later.
In the beginning, covering your future spouse in prayer is HARD!!! But know that God has someone ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for you! Keep your relationship with Christ at the top of your prayer list, as you are seeking love! But know that he has it all in control! He has your life planned out to a T and he will provide everything you need! Jesus loves you, and he is preparing you for your future mate, just as he is preparing your mate for you!!!
Prayer: Heavenly Father, I come to you today first just to say THANK YOU!!! You’ve been oh so good to me, and you meet my needs day after day, and I just thank you!!! Father I am asking you for discernment as I seek my future spouse! I ask you to cover my mate and myself as you are preparing us for each other! Lord I ask you for protection, for favor, for your love and your covering! Lord I ask that you will just be with me as I am on my love journey! Father I love you and I praise you for all the great things you are doing in my life and will do in my future! I say this prayer in your son Jesus name I pray!
Amen and Praise God!!!